The car industry has been through a period of growth, however, it is showing signs of slowing. Although buying habits are changing throughout all age groups, as consumers become more accustomed to having their needs, queries, and requests met online, millennials are the generation where this change is most prominent. Studies suggest that by 2020 almost 40% of all new car purchases will be made by millennials, 88% of which will begin their buyer journey online.
This presents brands in the car industry with a golden opportunity to innovate and capture this new buyer via their online buying experience.
While some car manufacturers are recognizing this shift towards convenience, many still focus heavily on their product performance against their market rivals. While this is likely to be useful for a large section of their consumer base, Hyundai knows that the ease of purchase will likely affect the buying decision more and more. The brand took note of how consumers want to shop, how they want to interact online and make the experience as easy as possible. The goal was to create a smooth buying process coupled with a good product that would allow for a significant gain in the market.
Hyundai wanted to capture new car buyers attention online, early in their research process and be able to show their new cars on their website in an engaging and interactive way. The brand also wanted to answer all the questions that buyers might have in real time and use their website as a lead generation tool for their dealerships.
The web visitors can join these live One-to-Many sessions on Hyundai’s website by clicking on the engaging call-to-action button and introducing their name/nickname. They can watch the broadcast and get familiar with the new Hyundai car models and ask questions via the messaging function. The presenters then answer these questions in real time through the live video broadcast.
Hyundai live video chat also has an automated message that acts as a lead capture and redirects engaged viewers to a form where they can book a test drive at the nearest dealership.
This new and improved customer experience delighted and captured those customers who expect convenience and online support to guide them through the online buying journey while researching for a new car.
We analyzed Hyundai results from February to October in 2018 and it is evident that the brand has achieved great results:
• Over 1 million viewers during 9 months, which averages at approx. 780 viewers per hour.
• 14% were engaged viewers – viewers, who watched the broadcast for more than 3 minutes.
• 3% of the engaged viewers clicked on the One-to-Many lead capture feature and were qualified with a few simple questions in order to be redirected to book test drives. 16% of those who clicked, completed a test drive request at their local dealership. This totals at 630 pre-qualified leads for the whole period analysed (9 months) or 70 pre-qualified leads per month.
• The average number of questions asked was 8 every 30 minutes.
• The project achieved a huge media impact, surpassing 1440 hours of broadcasting time.
• 50% of the active viewers loved the broadcast, click on the “like” button.
• Customer satisfaction with the presenters was excellent: 9.3 out of 10.
Considering that Whisbi One-to-Many is a customer engagement solution made for building brand awareness and widening the top of the funnel and was not built as a lead generation or a sales solution, these results have surpassed all of Hyundai’s expectations and set a new standard for new car launches in the automotive industry globally.